Thursday 12 April 2012

Polymer Clay & MDF Letters

Hi, its been far too long but I have been happily busy with block commisions, which I never tire of as each set is so different.
At the moment I am in the middle of a Christening set for a girl named SIENNA ...how pretty

I think I said before how I love words, letters, Initials, script etc and decided to try to decorate some MDF letters with polymer clay....I had never used this medium before but really wanted to ''give it a go''
I bought some plain white clay and also 3 MDF letters ....H...J....L. which were 14coms high.

I played around with the clay making roses and other flowers and also a clown ...it was all trial and error as I really didn't think the process through, as the clay has to be baked at a low temperature and I thought, mistakenly that I could bake the MDF with it..... as my plan was to have a clown holding the letter..but OHHHH NOOOO not a good idea as MDF will emit nasty unsafe fumes.
Had to put my thinking hat on and realised I would have to bake the clown in 3 pieces
ARRRGGGHHHHH
Didn't turn out too bad but the clowns fingers broke off so I think I will attach some fabric as a kerchief .
The Clown is the only piece that has been stuck on, gluing threw up a whole load of new problems lol...
the flowers have just been placed on to see what they look like...hmmm maybe abit too floral.
Oh btw the J hasn't been painted yet and I have decided if I make the letter with a figure attached I will have to used real wood letters which could be baked




This was a definite roller coaster of a make.



2 comments:

Lace hearts said...

How did I miss these. They are fabulous. Love the flower ones especially. You could branch into brooches and necklaces. You are so wonderfully talented. xx

John Smith said...

Interior Painting
This is great especially the flowers on the letters are looking so nice.